Thursday, April 1, 2010

Voyage of the bridey: Life's like that, live with it.



So it dawned upon me while I was half asleep on my bed.
Nonetheless, it was a revelation.

I, honestly, was going to a rough patch in my emotional state.
And it doesn't help when girls have like 4 demanding hormones wanting to be queen.
Not fair that guys only have one to (NOT) worry about.

Ok, so I've been complainey for the past few days.
My expectations played an important villain in this episode.

I must say, I felt very disappointed.
and my body went into I'm-so-poor-thing mode.
But is seemed like the more I I'm-so-poor-thing, and the more I push my expectations, the feeling gets worse la.
The words I get thrown back at me is "Endure la", "Cope with it", or even worse- no response at all. HEH.

But alas! I realize that it is all but futile to expect, demand and cry over spilled milk!
It is inversely proportionate to feeling contended and fulfilling one's needs!
But it is so funny how girls always tend to do that to get attention- complain like it's everyone Else's fault but your own.



But complaining will only push people away more and more...and you'll end up feeling worse than before. Even if someone does "kesian" you...it only encourages you to complain more and more and it might get out of control cause you feel so happy that someone agrees with you.

But actually, the core issue is still not solved.
People will think you are an grumpy old lady with nothing better to do but complain all the time.
But far from it, it is the emotional reaction of what's hurting deep within the soul!



Instead,
I quote my darling "Life's like that, live with it!".
If one has expectations of how it should be like, how your life should be like, or how people should be like, then one is in for a big big disappointment.

Life is not ideal. At least not in OUR ideal.
Put down those expectations, put away those ideals and
Take life as it is! In all its imperfectness and un-ideal-ness.

It is a struggle and it does not happen overnight. But it is important indeed to come to the realization, to move pass the emo-ness that we feel, that the problem lies not with the others around us, but from ourselves.

If I stop at the emo-ness and never move on, I think I will be become a very depressed person, wallowing in what I SHOULD have and I think I OUGHT to have.

Only after coming to that realization, only then was I able to lay it all down before Him completely and to know that the world and all that is in it will fail us, but He will not.

And in that letting go, (and letting God) it is only than one can find contentment and fulfillment and peace.
The more you try to meet your needs, the less they will be met;
but the less you try to meet your needs ( a.k.a let go), the more they will be met!

Our expectations are man-made.
But He exceeds out expectations beyond what we can see and gives us so much more.
If only we were to see it from His perspective.

Oh of course one expects to be soothed and who doesn't want to be pampered and spoiled and to get what one wants.
And the people at the other end has to endure endless complains and still smile and try to be sane.
Of course there are times for encouragements;
But there also times when one does need a positive knock in the head.
Families, loved ones, the people around may not be ideal, may not be what we expect them to be, everyone has their own struggles.
But ever more, it allows us to face adversity, challenges and trials with so much more bravery, patience, and reliance on God.

Like in the movie,Evan Almighty, WATCH THIS:



When one prays for patience, does God give you patience or the opportunity to be patient?
If one prays for courage, does God give one courage or the opportunity to be courageous?
If some one prayed for the family to be closer, you think god zaps them with warm fuzzy feelings? Or does he give them opportunities to love each other?

God provides what you need, not what you to think you WANT to sooth your hurting soul.
And in times like these, one discovers the grace and goodness of God over and over again, just when we are about to give up.

:) btw, I'm not talking about my darling.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Ruth,
    I'm glad you get to go through this, so you know what it is to lay everything down, take a step back, think, pray, laugh and either the answer will come, or it is nothing worth answering to begin with. just a bump to make sure you don't speed too much.

    I have gone through that, and have gone through too long of it, I think all my life. Now I get Boss-zilla and I laugh.. I'm sure Jason may get Bride-zilla on your off day and still be able to laugh

    Hope to see you tonight if you have time. We Karaoke the night away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! Yea life is funny sometimes right. But i guess as long as we learn from it, it's never too late! p.s I'm not talking about jason. more of my family la. cause they are moving to ipoh at the same time! and my sis, the MAID OF HONOUR is too busy to layan me! HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's like that....if you get a friend as a maid of honor, you'll have an overeager assistant, get a sister, you'll emo yourself out.
    We're a family of 4 girls - when my sister got married, NO maid of honor, but each of us somehow pushed into a role someway....
    - 3yr old ringbearer had jitters - so I had to be that
    - PA system broke down - so the youngest sister had to sing
    - 2nd sister naturally looked like she was the maid of honor because of the fancier dress :)

    Hang in there...there is NO bride that doesn't emo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm marrying my house....so I'm an emo house-bride too. Today I cried over spilt paint...supposed to be a horlicks brown but it's as white as milk....:<<<<<<<

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahhahah...awwwww..hugs! there's always a first! can repaint the walls every year and change theme! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm never going to touch the house again...or another house alone again...I'm so sick of it.

    ReplyDelete